Sunday, December 1, 2013

Uncontrollable Food Consumption

In High School, one of my best friends suffered from an eating disorder. I hadn't realized the signs, because I thought it was some kind of girlish ritual to go to the bathroom after lunch everyday. I didn't think it was weird that she always had a pack of minty gum on her, or that she always seemed hungry. I just thought that this was common of a high school girl. Soon enough did I find out, when she ended up in the hospital for three weeks. Cases of binge-eating disorders and bulimia nervosa are on the rise among teenagers. Although not recognized as a disorder until recent months, binge-eating is a serious problem that has similar life-long impairments that are comparable to bulimia nervosa. I know I have had moments in the past where I felt as though I could eat for days and never be full, and honestly I don't know anyone who hasn't felt that way at least once in their life. However, for many, this feeling is something they struggle with on a daily basis. Both binge-eating and bulimia deal with uncontrollable bouts of eating, which in time can lead to later-onset mental and physical disorders. It is also not uncommon for people suffering with these disorders to suffer from depression, anxiety, and/or suicidal thoughts or actions. Sadly, both disorders are genetically unrecognizable by medical professionals, and therefore frequently go untreated. Even so, researchers have brought about the possibility of early detection of both binge-eating disorders and bulimia nervosa within vulnerable school years, which in turn will help prevent the often subsequent mental and physical impairments linked to these diseases. If you wish to read more, please click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment